ACCT 555 Week 7 Homework
20-17 (Objective 20-3)
The following questions concern internal controls in the payroll and personnel cycle. Choose the best response.
a. A factory foreman at Steblecki Corporation discharged an hourly worker but did not notify the human resources department. The foreman then forged the worker’s signature on time cards and work tickets and, when giving out the checks, diverted the payroll checks drawn from the discharged worker to his own use. The most effective procedure for preventing this activity is to
b. An auditor found that employee time records in one department are not properly approved by the supervisor. Which of the following could result?
c. The purpose of segregating the duties of hiring personnel and distributing payroll checks is to separate the
20-20 (Objectives 20-2, 20-3)
Following are some of the tests of controls and substantive tests of transactions procedures often performed in the payroll and personnel cycle. (Each procedure is to be done on a sample basis.)
1. Reconcile the monthly payroll total for direct manufacturing labor with the labor cost distribution.
2. Examine the time card for the approval of a foreman.
3. Recomputed hours on the time card and compare the total with the total hours for which the employee has been paid.
4. Compare the employee name, date, check number, and amounts on cancelled checks with the payroll journal.
5. Trace the hours from the employee time cards to job tickets to make sure that the total reconciles and trace each job ticket to the job-cost record.
6. Account for a sequence of payroll checks in the payroll journal.
7. Select employees from the personnel file who have been terminated, and determine whether their termination pay was in accordance with the union contract. As part of this procedure, examine two subsequent periods to determine whether the terminated employee is still being paid.
21-17 (Objective 21-1)
The following questions concern internal controls in the inventory and warehousing cycle. Choose the best response.
a. Which of the following controls will most likely justify a reduced assessed level of control risk for the occurrence assertion for purchases of inventory?
b. For control purposes, the quantities of materials ordered may be omitted from the copy of the purchase order that is
c. Which of the following procedures will best detect the theft of valuable items from an inventory that consists of hundreds of different items selling for $1 to $10 and a few items selling for hundreds of dollars?
21-18 (Objectives 21-1, 21-3)
The following questions concern testing the client’s internal controls for inventory and warehousing. Choose the best response.
a. When an auditor tests a client’s cost accounting records, the auditor’s tests are primarily designed to determine that
b. The accuracy of perpetual inventory master files may be established, in part, by comparing perpetual inventory records with
c. Which of the following sets of duties related to inventory and warehousing causes the greatest concern about inadequate segregation of duties?
21-19 (Objectives 21-1, 21-4, 21-5, 21-6)
The following questions deal with tests of details of balances and analytical procedures for inventory. Choose the best response.
a. Which of the following procedures is the auditor least likely to perform on the actual date the physical inventory count is observed?
b. An inventory turnover analysis is useful to the auditor because it may detect
c. A CPA auditing inventory may appropriately apply attributes sampling to estimate the
21-20 (Objectives 21-1, 21-3, 21-5, 21-6, 21-7)
Items 1 through 8 are selected questions typically found in questionnaires used by auditors to obtain an understanding of internal control in the inventory and warehousing cycle. In using the questionnaire for a client, a “yes” response to a question indicates a possible internal control, whereas a “no” indicates a potential deficiency.
1. Is a detailed perpetual inventory master file maintained for raw materials inventory?
2. Are physical inventory counts made by someone other than storekeepers and those responsible for maintaining the perpetual inventory master file?
3. Is the clerical accuracy of the final inventory compilation checked by a person independent of those responsible for preparing it?
4. Does the receiving department prepare pre-numbered receiving reports and account for the numbers periodically for all inventory received, showing the description and quantity of materials?
5. Is all inventory stored under the control of an inventory custodian in areas where access is limited?
6. Are all shipments to customers authorized by pre-numbered shipping documents?
7. Are standard cost records used for raw materials, direct labor, and manufacturing overhead?
8. Is there a stated policy with specific criteria for writing off obsolete or slow-moving goods?
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more