Case 2: Carnival
Carnival Cruise Lines: This company has had its image damaged severely by mishaps, bad publicity, angry customers, etc. Competition is stiff and in a shock to Carnival management, people have more money than they ever had before and demand better and better service. Customers are also smart! Slick advertisements are not going to convince them that a product has high quality. The Super Bowl ads may not have been effective. Revenue was strong, then the corona virus undercut the entire industry. Now, profits are tight and competition stiffer. The situation is very serious.
On the other hand, this is an opportunity to think strategically. Consider yourself an MBA working for the company. How could you propose a strategic solution to its challenging situation? Please consider the following:
Things to keep in mind:
Things to avoid:
Other Important Directives:
1. Read the case five times to understand your role. You must work hard on this problem.
2. Go to the Wall Street Journal and other credible business sources to learn about the industry. Do not use Wikipedia, Investopedia or blogs.
3. Find out strategic ideas that seem to work for others. Learn the problems your competitors face. Look for proposed solutions.
4. Do not use blogs or opinions. Get the facts.
5. Develop sound ideas for a detailed plan. The plan should spell out timing and cost.
6. Apply concepts from the course: Driving Force, real capabilities of the firm, etc.
7. Do not write a paper saying that you cannot choose a direction or otherwise failing to present a solution. Management looks at you as someone who has learned about corporate strategy and grappled with business problems.
A few tips for sharp MBAs:
1. Remember that you are working for company management. Do not set yourself up as smarter than they are. Do not fall into the trap of telling them to shift direction without solid evidence. This would not be smart or strategic. They do not have the money or skill for such a shift.
2. Avoid expressions such as “I think” and “I feel.” This is a Master’s level course in a business program. Personal feelings are less important than FACTS and the ability to protect the company.
3. Begin to work on your paper well before the deadline. It would not be a good idea to react to the case. Think about it; understand the issues involved.
4. It is strongly advised that students grasp the central problem in the case. This is the single most important issue the company is facing.
Keep these ideas in mind for all papers in the course including the Integrative Project.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more