Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
As an advanced practice nurse assisting physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders, it is important to not only understand the impact of disorders on the body, but also the impact of drug treatments on the body. The relationships between drugs and the body can be described by pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. Pharmacokinetics describes what the body does to the drug through absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion, whereas pharmacodynamics describes what the drug does to the body. When selecting drugs and determining dosages for patients, it is essential to consider individual patient factors that might impact the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes. These patient factors include genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, behavior (i.e., diet, nutrition, smoking, alcohol, and illicit drug abuse), and/or pathophysiological changes due to disease. In this Discussion, you reflect on a case from your past clinical experiences and consider how a particular patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes altered his or her response to a drug.
· Review Chapter 2 of the Poole Arcangelo and Peterson text and the Scott article in the Learning Resources. Consider the principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
· Reflect on your experiences, observations, and/or clinical practices from the last 5 years. Select a case from that time period that involves a patient whose individual differences in pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic factors altered his or her anticipated response to a drug. When referring to your patient, make sure to use a pseudonym or other false form of identification. This is to ensure the privacy and protection of the patient.
· Consider factors that might have influenced the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes, such as genetics (including pharmacogenetics), gender, ethnicity, age, behavior, and/or possible pathophysiological changes due to disease.
· Think about a personalized plan of care based on these influencing factors and patient history in your case study.
Questions to be addressed in my paper:
1. A description of the case you selected.
2. Then, describe the factors that might have influenced the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes of the patient from the case you selected.
3. Finally, explain details of the personalized plan of care that you would develop based on influencing factors and patient history in your case.
4. Summary with Conclusion
1) 2-3 pages (addressing the 4 questions above excluding the title page and reference page).
2) Kindly follow APA format for the citation and references! References should be between the period of 2011 and 2016. Please utilize the references at least three below as much as possible and the rest from yours.
3) Make headings for each question.
· Poole Arcangelo, V., & Peterson, A. M. (Eds.). (2013). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (3rd ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
o Chapter 2, “Pharmacokinetic Basis of Therapeutics and Pharmacodynamic Principles”
This chapter examines concepts related to pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. It also explores patient factors that health care providers consider when prescribing drug therapy to patients.
o Chapter 3, “Impact of Drug Interactions and Adverse Events on Therapeutics”
This chapter explains drug-drug, drug-food, drug-herb, and drug-disease interactions. It also reviews patient factors that influence drug interactions and then covers adverse drug reactions.
o Chapter 4, “Principles of Pharmacotherapy in Pediatrics”
This chapter explores concepts relating to drug selection, administration, and interaction for pediatric patients. It also compares age-related pharmacokinetic differences in children and adults.
o Chapter 6, “Principles of Pharmacotherapy in Elderly Patients”
This chapter describes issues and factors that affect drug therapy for elderly patients. It then explores concepts relating to drug selection, administration, and management for elderly patients.
· Scott, S. A. (2011). Personalizing medicine with clinical pharmacogenetics. Genetics in Medicine,13(12), 987–995. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3290900/
This article examines pharmacogenetic testing in relation to personalized drug therapy plans. It also explores evidence-based guidelines and recommendations on pharmacogenetic testing.
· Drugs.com. (2012). Retrieved from www.drugs.com
· Haymarket Media, Inc. (2012). Monthly prescribing reference. Retrieved from http://www.empr.com/
· Institute for Safe Medication Practices. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.ismp.org/
· WebMD. (2012). Medscape. Retrieved from http://www.medscape.com/
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more